Medieval Architecture, Knightly Life, and Medieval Society
This site aims to look at Medieval history through means of selected topics regarding the Medieval Society and its customs.
We hope that, without making a radical departure from a more traditional way of analysing the history of the Middle Ages, we introduced some improvement in selection and presentation of material.
We looked at the feudal state and the self-centered town, the diversity of local laws and customs.
In the process, it was difficult to overestimate the importance of the Papacy and the medieval clergy as unifying forces in medieval civilization.
Consequently several topics are devoted to the Medieval Church, Medieval Monasticism, and the Monastic Military Orders.
So far, we are still at the beginning. We looked first at the Medieval history in relation with some western European lands whose institutions and culture had the greatest influence upon the history of the continent.
We are trying to give the required attention to the economic and social conditions, and to the many details of military and political history.
History also teaches us that in the art of the past there are precious models and inspirations, whose loss would be irreparable. Thus, we attempt to discuss the Medieval art as well.
Even if the tactics of Hastings and Crécy are of little use to the modern military specialist, we paid attention to the ways of making war in Middle Ages, as many battles in Medieval history contributed to
the shaping of kingdoms in forms close to today's modern countries.
We are reasoning and emotional beings, and it is unfair to our past ancestors to merely chronicle events without some indication of the ideas and ideals behind them as well as
of the personalities that produced them. We try to focus more on these.
True it is that a textbook or general history is chiefly intended to tell what we do know.
But the old lesson of Socrates teaches us that that there are many things which we do
not know and many more which we only half know.
Our site about Medieval history is striving to complete the other half.
Medieval Gothic Architecture
- Medieval Gothic Explained - General considerations about Medieval Gothic and how the "Local Gothic" was born.
Medieval Gothic Cathedrals - Explore the Symbols inside the Medieval Gothic Cathedrals in France, England, Germany, Italy, and Spain.
Medieval Architecture - Explore the features of domestic Medieval Architecture, interior design and comfort in the 14th
Medieval Manors - Discover the Medieval Manors of the 14th Century England, their architecture, and how the geographical location influenced the way they were built. A view on the Medieval house.
Medieval Castles - Medieval Castles
origin, their classification and development.
Medieval Knights And Chivalry
Medieval Knights' Equipment
- Charlemagne - The Emperor and The Man.
- Medieval Life
- Overview on Kings, nobles, peasants,
- Medieval Castle Life - A brief history of Medieval Castle Life from the 9th century to the 15th
- Medieval Village - A medieval village in England: farming, pastimes, and challenges. The medieval market,
the fairs, and their rigorous code of conduct.
- Medieval Decor in
castles and ordinary houses.
- Roles Of Women In The Middle Ages - Explore The Roles of Women in the Middle Ages, and discover how they influenced the spiritual and social Medieval life.
- Medieval Fashion- A short history of Medieval Fashion from the 8th century till the 15th
- Medieval Food-
Food in Medieval France. What were their meals of choice: vegetables,
red meat, poultry,
- Medieval Drinks - Find out which were the most popular Medieval Drinks, and when the brandy first became known!
- Medieval Feast
- Ever wondered how a Medieval Feast was? What were the articles of plate, table ornaments, how many courses on the bill of fare, and what the courses were?
- Medieval Entertainment
- Medieval Entertainment, or how did they have fun, and what did they enjoyed most.
- Medieval Hunting History
- Branches of Medieval Hunting, who loved to hunt, methods and utensils
- Medieval Games
- Discover the Medieval Games of strength, the games of chance and those requiring calculation.
- Medieval Guilds
- About Medieval Guilds, their place in the Medieval Society, their statutes and privileges.
- Medieval Merchants
- Learn more about the Medieval Merchants, commerce, and the manufacturing industry in the Middle Ages.
- Medieval Punishment
- Methods of Medieval punishment, executions, and the role of the executioner in different countries.
- Medieval Medicine
- A history of Medieval Medicine from the 5th Century till the late Middle Ages.
- Medieval Army - Organization, troops and ranks of the Middle Ages Military.
- Medieval Warfare - Explore the history of Medieval Warfare Weapons, from the Norman Conquest to the end of the 15th
- Medieval Siege - The Medieval Siege seen from within and from outside the walls.
- Castle Defences - Improvements of castle fortifications in the 12th century: ramparts, hoardings (brattices), and machicolations.
- Medieval Siege Weapons - Learn about less known Medieval Siege Weapons, and engineering techniques used in Medieval Sieges.
- Medieval Archers - A history of the Medieval Archers, and their role in combat since the Norman Conquest to the end of the 15th Century.
A Medieval Travel Guide For Today's Traveller
We hope you will enjoy our Medieval History site, and that you will come back often!